Yesterday on Instagram we talked about the saying "Fail to prepare & prepare to fail" which was to prompt everyone to cook up a few of our favorite snacks to take to the beach today. Well, that was somewhat of a fail due to the weather being pretty nasty here in Miami, however we're still sharing these recipes for your NEXT beach day! Cheers to great snacks, sunshine, and saving money by making it yourself!
RED KIDNEY BEAN HUMMUS
- 1 can red kidney beans (liquid removed)
- 3 tbsptahini paste
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp garlic powder or fresh
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add all of your ingredients to your high-speed blender (preferably a vitamix) and blend.
- Using the rod that comes with the blender, push the mixture down until it is entirely blended.
- Using the boiling water, add in small amounts until the mixture becomes "whipped." This will help it to become creamy without having to use any oil or added calories.
'BOOCHY' PINEAPPLE MANGORITA
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 1 cup ice
- 3 oz honey or maple syrup (NO AGAVE)
- Lime or Lemon Kombucha
- Combine all ingredients except kombucha into a blender with ice cubes. Blend until well combined and pour into glasses.
- Top the mixture with kombucha and gently stir to combine.
- Have left-overs - GREAT! Freeze them into pops or in a bottle to take to your next beach day. It will keep everything cool as it defrosts.
PINEAPPLE & ROASTED CORN SALSA
- 1 cup NON-GMO corn kernels
- 1 cup pineapple (diced)
- ¾ cup red pepper (grilled)
- ¼ cup red onion
- 1 tbsp jalapeno
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- ⅛ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp mint
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- ½ tsp fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (seeds removed)
- Wash all of your ingredients.
- Using a chef's knife, cut your pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno into small dice (jalapeno minced.)
- To avoid grilling the corn or red pepper, purchase the fire-roasted corn in the frozen section at Whole Foods, as well as the frozen red pepper. Reserve the remaining amount in the freezer. Corn will almost always have to be purchased canned, or frozen to guarantee that it is NON-GMO. (FYI)
- Once the red onion is cut, squeeze the lime juice over this mixture. This helps to somewhat "cook" the onion so that it is easier on your stomach.
- Adding your remaining ingredients to your bowl mix to combine.
- If you would like to add tomato be sure to remove the seeds and liquid before combining.
- If you are watching your sugars, simply remove the maple syrup as well as the orange juice.
- Play around with these flavors and adjust ingredients by 1 tbsp - 1/4 cup as necessary.
The only true way to learn to cook is to make a mistake and understand how to fix it!
With yummy love,